Pages

Thursday 25 June 2015



Coffee Mornings


There is something to be said for starting the day with a decent cup of coffee. 
Now don't get me wrong, I have always preferred the more unique over chains in terms of quality... But... 
Up until recently my go-to guilty pleasure morning hit came from Starbucks.

Then a Gail's Bakery branch opened up a ten minutes from my front door... And something changed.

 It was a nostalgic thing, Starbucks. Growing up seeing those cups on tv shows, it came to represent something that wasn't available back home in Stockholm (Starbucks has only been allowed to open shop in Sweden over the last few years, and even now there are only less than a handful scattered around). It came to represent New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco... London... Thos big cities with their 24/7 lights and endless possibilities. 

But over the past few weeks I've realised that it doesn't compare, not even with the feel good factor of those branded mugs. So I'm done. As in no more. Unless left with no other source of coffee with a pre-7AM call time... And for those who know me, they'll realise this is significant news. 

So it's nothing personal. It's not you, Bucks. We had a good run, and we'll always have the memories. I'll drop by to see you every now and then, and I'll still use those mugs at home with the different city names on them. But, well, it just doesn't quite do it for me anymore. So Gail's, boy am I glad you do frequent-coffee-drinker cards!
Welcome to the neighbourhood!
xo 


No comments:

Post a Comment